Alongside the release of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, Apple introduced a privacy-oriented feature that changes the way you browse the web on your iPhone or iPad. Dubbed Private Relay, it’s a part of the company’s new iCloud+ program that you can access as long as you’re paying for iCloud.
Private Relay works sort of like a VPN, and allows you to hide your real IP address with a random one. However, unlike a VPN, Private Relay does not hide your other network traffic outside of Safari, nor does it allow you to use a VPN from a different country. Hence, you cannot switch regions and unlock geoblocked content on services like Netflix, Spotify, etc.
Once enabled, Private Relay will encrypt the data that leaves your data in such a way that prying eyes are not able to intercept the data and read it.
Let’s take a look at using Private Relay in Safari on your iPhone and iPad.
How to Use Private Relay on iPhone & iPad with Safari
First and foremost, you need to make sure that your device is running at least iOS 15/iPadOS 15. Also, you have to be a paid iCloud subscriber to use Private Relay, as the feature is not available to other users. As long as you meet those requirements, you can follow the steps below to use the feature on your device:
- Head over to “Settings” on your iPhone or iPad. Here, tap on your “Apple ID name” located right at the top.
- In your Apple ID settings menu, select “iCloud” to manage it.
- Here, below the storage information, you’ll find the “Private Relay” option. Tap on it to manage the service.
- Now, simply use the toggle to enable “Private Relay” on your device. To change your settings for the IP address used by Private Relay, tap on “IP Address Location.”
- Here, you’ll find two options. You can either opt for an IP address that’s based on your general location or use a broader one from your country and time zone.
It’s that easy to set up Private Relay on your iPhone and iPad.
Note that Private Relay uses the Maintain General Location setting by default which will allow advertisers to deliver content specific to your area.